Social Action Day in Icaraí de Amontada - Ceará
Where: João Rodrigues de Melo School, Community of Campo Grande, District of Amontada, Ceará
When: 18 Dec 2012
In partnership with the João Rodrigues de Melo School and with the support of the Amontada local government, QGER held a Social Action Day. The objective was to provide social interaction in a relaxed environment during the Christmas season.
The organization team, consisting of a psychologist, social workers, artisans, nurses and teachers, coordinated the following services and activities:
- Blood pressure measurement, blood glucose test (with equipment donated by QGER to the community’s health center) and talks on oral hygiene.
- The students recited poems, some of which mentioned the employment and income opportunities created by the establishment of the Icaraí wind farm in the region.
- 7th and 8th graders staged the Christmas play “The Birth of Baby Jesus”.
- Presentation of the Projovem group from the Caetanos community about their activities (a federal government project offered by the municipality of Amontada).
- Talks given by the Social Work Reference Center (Cras) about the Bolsa Família social welfare program and the services provided by Cras.
- Talks on sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).
- Talks about the family and its importance in the community, and the need to respect teachers and the elderly (topics requested by the school’s principal).
- Arts workshop using PET plastic bottles. Distribution of 50 fruit tree seedlings.
Business Opportunities and Employment Market
- Costume jewelry workshop for 8th and 9th graders. The pieces they produced were raffled among the participants.
- Talk about the employment market and how young people looking for an opportunity can develop the right profile.
- Recreational activities for the children while gifts were distributed.